The Sealed Knot Terms and conditions of application for membership of the Sealed Knot or renewal
Revised July 2017
- The Society, its officers, members, organisers of Sealed Knot events, servants or agents shall in no circumstances be liable in any manner whatsoever for loss of any kind to any member or damage to the property of such member arising from out of or in connection with any of the activities of the Society however such loss or damage or loss may have been caused or contributed to, including (without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing) where such loss or damage is or was caused by the negligence breach of contractual or other duty or other default of the Society, its officers, members, organisers of events, or other their servants or agents, licensees or invitees.
- Member" means any person who has paid their annual subscription to the Society for the current year or is entitled to and granted a current Membership Card. Only those whose subscriptions are fully paid are entitled to the privileges of membership. A member whose subscription is only partly paid is not entitled to the privileges of membership but is nonetheless subject to the obligations thereof.
- The Sealed Knot reserves the right to refuse an application for membership. Subject to the provision of its Articles of Association, the Sealed Knot also reserves the right to refuse or withdraw membership from any members should it consider this action to be in the best interests of the Society for such reasons as, including but not limited to, such a member embarking on a course of legal action against the Society or another member in relation to the activities of the Society or being known to be a registered drug addict or abuser or (subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act) having been found guilty of any criminal offence involving drugs or any prohibited substance or any crime of violence or theft.
- The Sealed Knot undertakes to indemnify its members against reasonable claims from a third party and to insure its members to a reasonable degree against personal injuries, disablement and death arising from their lawful activities in accordance with these Terms and Conditions at or in connection with all authorised events.
- The applicant(s) agree(s) for himself or herself or themselves and where applicable for and on behalf of any children who are incorporated in his, her or their membership and who purport to apply for membership under this application, to be bound by these several terms and conditions and the rules of the Society now made or at any time hereafter to be made.
- The applicant agrees to indemnify the Society against any loss or damage to property sustained by them as a result of any member of his family not being bound by these terms and conditions for any reason, the applicant agrees that in entering into a contract with him or her the Society is acting not only on its own behalf but also on behalf of its present and future members, officers, organisers, servants and agents for the purpose of conferring upon them the benefit of these conditions and in particular of the exemption of liability for loss and damage. The applicant expressly authorises the Society to enter into contracts with other applicants on his or her behalf for the purpose of conferring the said benefit upon the applicant.
- The applicant(s) agrees not to organise musters or other events and not to grant interviews to the Press nor to any broadcasting or television service or authority nor any other advertising organisation without the permission first obtained from the Board of Directors through the National Events Co-ordinator or Public Relations Officer.
- The applicant agrees to pay to the Membership Secretary or other responsible officer of the Society authorised to receive the same, via his or her own regiment’s bank account, his or her own annual subscription, such subscription being renewable on the date as published in Orders of The Day for the following calendar year. The expression "Family Subscription" includes two adults (e.g. husband and wife) and their children or adopted children being under the age of 18 years and/or exceptionally, in the case of disabled persons, such other situations as the Society (by its Company Secretary) may individually recognise.
- All adult members must affix a recent recognisable photograph of themselves to and sign their membership card upon receipt of the same. Membership cards are not valid, and will not afford admission to the Society’s camp sites, until they bear such a photograph and signature.
- All members wishing to take part in public displays must be suitably dressed and armed. On behalf of him/herself and if applicable, those who purport for membership hereunder, the applicant agrees to dress and equip him/herself and the aforementioned persons in accordance with the historic fashion and requirements of the l7th century (Circa 1640-1660) so far as regards civil dress or military uniform as required by the Regiment of the Society selected and as required by the Society’s Dress Regulations from time to time published, as soon as possible and before taking part in musters.
- All members are expected to obey lawful orders given by a senior officer in public. Any matter of complaint should be discussed in private. In military matters, any case of dispute or grievance between one member and another should be referred to the Officer next in rank or seniority to the senior of those in dispute. Additionally, all members are expected to conduct themselves at all times in a manner which will not give rise to reasonable complaint or be likely to bring the Society into disrepute; and to specifically refrain from offensive, objectionable or violent behaviour.
- Members are required to acquaint themselves with all safety and other regulations which are mandatory upon them. Any member entrusted with any stewardship e.g. Treasurer, Adjutant, musters organisers, quartermasters and the like, shall keep proper written account of that trust
- It is understood that upon certain occasions the adult applicant or applicants might be invited to play the part of either a Royalist or Parliamentarian, and if so they will kindly do so with good grace and for the benefit of the Society.
- Adults are at all times responsible for the security, safety, welfare and behaviour in accordance with the rules of the society of any child or children included in their membership and accompanying them to a muster. The applicant(s) undertake(s) not to permit any such child under 16 years to enter or remain on the field during any battle re-enactment but to ensure that they are withdrawn to a designated safe area during the performance.
- Adult Members are responsible to ensure they have parental consent for any child incorporated in his, her or their membership from the child’s legal parent or guardian
- Only two non-related children are allowed on any "Family Subscription" membership. There is an annual charge of £10 for any non-related child 16 years and above added to a membership.
- All members taking part in the public performance “in kit” agree to images of themselves or their children which are taken during the public display being used for Sealed Knot purposes (including websites, publications and press). Parents/guardians must decide whether they wish to allow their child to participate “in kit”, in light of the fact that photography or video recording will take place and images may be published.
- Membership is also subject to the Memorandum & Articles of the Association of The Sealed Knot Ltd.
All current memberships and members are recorded within the
Sealed Knot membership database. The data held by the Sealed Knot is only used
for membership management purposes. The Sealed Knot Data Protection policy
details what and how data is used and managed. The policy is available to all
members via our website or can be requested from email@example.com
NB the term ‘muster’ includes all meetings of the society and/or its component groups for the purposes of any performance or training and applies for the duration of the period during which the society shall occupy any site.
REMEMBER, YOU ARE APPLYING TO JOIN A l7th CENTURY ARMY. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO ABIDE BY THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AND OBEY THE SOCIETY'S RULES, ORDERS AND DISCIPLINE, PLEASE DO NOT JOIN OR REJOIN.
Online payment specific Terms and conditions
Payment of membership fees - For all Credit & Debit card payments please note, we do not store credit card details nor do we share customer details with any 3rd parties. Payments will be made via the Sealed Knot Ltd PayPal Merchant interface, should you have any issue in relation to payment please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone to the Sealed Knot administration on 01933 356225.
Delivery Policy - Following acceptance of new memberships, Seal Knot Membership cards will be dispatch to your local Regimental Adjutant who will arrange with you directly for you to receive a named membership card for each person included in your membership.
Refund Cancellation policy - If within 14 days of the purchase you wish to cancel your membership or before the date of an event for an temporary single event membership please contact the Sealed Knot administration via email@example.com . After the 14 days no refunds will be given.
In addition, for temporary single event memberships, the card if issued, must be returned to the local regimental Adjutant prior to the event date.
The Sealed Knot Registered Office:
The Sealed Knot, C/O Clarke Willmott LLP, Burlington House, Botleigh Grange Business Park, Hedge End, Southampton SO30 2AF. V.A.T. No. 275 5592 23. Company Regd. No. 1014700 Registered Charity No. 263004. Registered in Scotland as a Charity No.SC040724